Introduction to Transfer Shipments
A transfer shipment is a shipment which transfers inventory between two warehouses. These are for products which need to be transferred from a backup facility to another primary facility. Transfer shipments are created from Transfer Requirements which have been approved. When they are approved, they can be aggregated into a Transfer Shipment, which can then cause inventory transfers to occur between the facilities.
When you try to send an outgoing transfer shipment, the system will check that there is sufficient inventory in the originating warehouse. If there is not sufficient inventory, you will get an error. Then, you must modify the original transfer requirements and the shipment to conform with the quantity available.
If there are several different quantities (inventory items) available of the product being transferred, quantities will be reserved for the transfer shipment based on the priority for use of the backup warehouse inventory, refer to Configure Warehouses Screen.
When you receive the transfer shipment in the destination warehouse, you can receive a quantity which is different than that on the transfer shipment. The difference will be charged off as "lost in transit".
You can group a series of transfer requirements into a transfer shipment.
Using Transfer Shipments
Stage 1: Create the Transfer Request Using MRP
The procedure starts with running MRP:
* Navigate to Purchasing > Planning Tab * Look at the upper right hand corner of the screen and confirm that the "Organization" listed there is the one for which you want to process transfer requirements. When you run MRP the factors considered will focus on your selected organization. [Change] if needed. * Click: Purchasing > Planning Tab > [Run MRP] in the Shortcut Box. * Select Facility -- your primary warehouse facility ** You can narrow the MRP to focus on a specific subset by entering any of these data items: *** Supplier, or Product Store, Product ID * Select Create Transfer Requirements = Yes, to see the requirements before a transfer request is created, or use Create Transfer Requirements = No, to produce transfer requests directly thus bypassing the opportunity to review the needs before the request is created. * Select Create Pending Internal Requirements = Yes if you also want to see the internal manufacturing requirements on this MRP run. * Click: [Run MRP] at the bottom of the form to generate the report
Proceed to generate Transfer Requests:
* If you decided to generate Transfer Requirements, complete the following steps: (If not, proceed to Stage 2.) * When the View MRP screen opens, notice that the facility you selected is listed on the form. * Click: [Find] to open the newly generated MRP report. This report will include a line item for each Transfer Requirement or Transfer Request indicated by the MRP run. ** Note: Transfer Requirements generated in this process are created in Approved status, thus you can view and handle them by going to going to the "Approved Transfer Requirements" screen. * Click: [Approved Transfer Requirements] button in the Shortcut Box. The screen opens to display your current (Approved) Transfer Requirements which can now be used to create Transfer Requests for all items you need to initiate now. * Click: the Check Box at the end of each line item ready for a Transfer Request
This completes the creation of Transfer Requests which can now be processed and completed. To complete inventory transfers proceed with Stage 2.
Stage 2: Move Inventory Using the Transfer Request
* Locate your pending Transfer Requests next, * Navigate to Warehouse > Inventory Tab * Click: [Transfer Inventory] button. The "Transfer Inventory" screen opens displaying your various Active (not completed yet) Transfer Requests. * If desired, Click: [Active and Inactive] to view all Transfer Requests including completed ones.
- Each line item displays one Transfer Request including these data fields:
- Transfer ID -- the ID number of the transfer request, Click to can view the details
- Item (ID) -- the Inventory Item ID for the destination Warehouse, Click to view details
- From -- the Name and ID of the source Warehouse for this transfer
- Send Date -- the date when the transfer will be sent to the destination Warehouse
- Status -- the current status of this transfer request
- [Edit] -- Click [Edit] to modify any aspect of the Transfer Request
Example: "Complete the Transfer Immediately" using [Edit] on the Transfer Request
* Click [Edit] on the line item, the Transfer Request opens for updating * On the "Status" line, Select: "Completed" in the drop down box * Click: [Update]
The updated status of the Transfer Request is "Completed" and the inventory quantity is move into the target Inventory Item ID of the destination Warehouse.
If there is a Sales Order which has an Open Back Order waiting on the transferred product, that item will be Re-reserved to capture the needed quantity to fill the back order. When you view the pending Sales Order you can see the back order is now eliminated.