Processing Product Returns
Introduction to Processing Returns
You can process a product return with various refund options for your customer in the CRMSFA application's Orders Tab. Returns can only be created for orders that were processed in the opentaps system. If you need to give the customer a refund or credit for items which were not ordered in the system, you can create a credit memo in Financials application rather than a return.
When creating a return in the CRMSFA application, you can specify that the item costs are to be refunded or that a store credit will be given. You can also control whether to refund or credit shipping charges and adjustments. The system will perform an automatic check to make sure that your new refund plus any past returns for this order do not exceed the value of the original order.
Once a return is created, a supervisor with special privileges in CRM must approve the return. The processing of returns is determined by the configuration of the CRM module:
- it can be set to record receipt of the returned merchandise automatically or
- it can require a manual receiving step.
Once the return is received, a credit memo is created automatically. The credit memo is a financial record of the return items which are received, similar to the way an invoice is a financial record of order items which are shipped. You can find credit memos as follows:
- from the main navigation screen Click: Financials
- Click: Payables Tab
- Click: [Find Credit Memos] or [Create Credit Memo]
After the credit memo is created, if the return is for a refund, either a check would be created or, if the original payment is made with a credit card, an automatic refund would be made via the payment processor. If the return is for store credit, then an entry would be made to the customer billing account, so that it could be used for future purchases.
Create A Return
To Create a return you must know the original order ID number. Proceed as follows:
* From the CRMSFA > Order Tab Click: [Find Orders] and provide sufficient information to locate your order and its Order ID number. * From the Order Tab Click: [Create Return] * Enter the Order ID and any initial comments into the box provided. * Click: [Create Return] * Fill in the information needed in the Return box, then Click: [Update] * In the "Select Items to Return" box identify the line item(s) to be returned and then Click: The Checkbox at the end of the item line. * For each selected return item, edit the "Return Qty" and "Return Price", "Reason", and "Processing" to set the refund policy to use. * For each Order Adjustment Item to be returned Click: The Checkbox at the end of the line. Then edit the "Amount" and "Type" of refund policy to be used for each line. * Finally if there is a "Manual Return Adjustment" for the order, such as a restocking fee, enter the amount of such adjustment on the last line of the form. If you are charging a fee you must enter a negative amount, for example -10.00. * Click [Return Selected Item(s)] at the bottom.
The Return Status is now changed to "Requested" and the return is now waiting on the actual return of products to your facility. Also, this opens the "Return Details" Screen where you can review your entries, and you can edit the general information at the top using [Update] to save the results, or your "Items Returned" at the bottom using [Update Items] to save those results. You might need to edit this to match the actual material that is returned to you before you issue a refund of any kind.
Editing with the Return Details Screen Refer to View and Edit Return.
Schedule a Return Pickup Refer to View and Edit Return if you need to retrieve your returned material by scheduling a carrier pickup at your customer's location.
Accept the Return
If you need to cancel or start over on the return, Click: [Cancel] on the top of the form. If the return is correct and the material has been received at your location, then
* Click: [Accept] to change the Return Status to "Received". At this point the refund action you specified for each item will be implemented, and the Return may be completed.
If you selected to use manual steps in refunding some amounts to your customer, then the Return Details Screen will display a [Force Complete] button. You would use this if you issued a manual refund check to your customer, for example.
* Click: [Force Complete] when you have completed the manual steps and wish to change the Return Status to "Completed"
Once the return is in Received status, a credit memo is created automatically. The credit memo is a financial record of the return items which are received, similar to the way an invoice is a financial record of order items which are shipped.
You can find credit memos in the Financials > Payables >> Find Credit Memos screen. After the credit memo is created, if the return is for a refund, either a check should be created or, if the original payment is made with a credit card, an automatic refund would be made via the payment processor. If the return is for store credit, then an entry would be made to the customer billing account, so that it could be used for future purchases.
This completes the processing of your Return.
Refer to Reference Manual page View and Edit Return
Refer to User Manual page Customer Returns